Friday, April 29, 2011

I got my volunteer placement!

Centro De Educacao Infantil Santa Teresa De LisieuX-Saint Therese of Lisiseuc Eduation Center (That's a mouthful!)

So the official name of my placement is above, in other words, I will be at a community educational organization teaching children, assisting teachers and teaching English.

The center was founded in May 1980 and gives attendtion to children and their families by providing Education, Social Assistance and Spirituality in a holistic view. Upper-middles class ladies and couple from Salvador supply the funds to help this organization run. There are a total of 85 children and 5 teachers.

My activities will include:
  • Assist teachers by caring for the children and organizing learning activities
  • Play games with children
  • Assist the staff with educational programming, including teaching, entertaining activities and creating new ways for children to learn
  • Organize and develop learning activities for the students according to what is being given in class
  • Provide individual attention to the children
  • Teach basic for kids
  • Organize and develop arts and crafts projects

I could not be more excited. The challenging part of the placement is that the 3 head organizers of the center on a scale of 1-5 in English proficiency are a 1 and 2. And my Brazil-Portuguese proficiency is probably lower than that. While we may not speak out loud the same language, I'm sure there will be multiple ways in which we will be able to translate to one another.

Next steps:
I think I'm going to go to a local Half Price Books and see what I can find. Children's stories, flashcards etc. that will help teach ABCs, numbers, family, body parts, food, animals, greetings, etc. If you have any great ideas, let me know! I'm all ears.



No comments: