Yesterday afternoon we went deeper into the favelas. Favelas are the slums of Salvador. Bruno, our 'tour guide', works with CCS and is there is answer any questions we have.
Questions I asked yesterday about the favelas and the answers I got (Remember this is from one reference):
- What percentage of the population live in the favelas?
- What percentage of the population is middle class? Upper class?
- 35%; 5%
- Does the government give support to those in the favelas?
- Each home get 214 Reias per month per child. The children must go to school in order to receive the support
- What do people who live in the favelas do for income?
- Men typically work in construction of somesort or have a store front, women do housework and childcare
- Does Salvador have any plans for the the money it is going to make from the World Cup in 2014?
- The poor areas wont see it.
- How does Salvador choose their leaders?
- Everyone is required to vote, but the politicians are extremely corrupt;
- Why don't they work a little more on some of roads? (Typically improved infrastructure contributes to a better economy?) They do, they have been working on one motorway for 12 years...